Saturday, November 23, 2013

Android 4.4 OTA Update gives Status 7 error - How to fix?

You probably know the Android 4.4 KitKat OTA update has already rolled out and it's available for Nexus devices. So, as I presume, you've downloaded the entire upgrade package, tapped the button and restarted right into the recovery mode with incredibly happy mood that your update is finally here. But nothing is perfect and you got the status 7 error. Bummer. How to fix the strange status 7 error? It might be pretty easy:

So what excatly the Status 7 error means? It means that your system, in any way is modyfied. Did you install the Xposed Framework? It might be caused by this. Did you delete any system app? You're in trouble. Are you using custom recovery? This is it.

The solution, as I wrote, may be pretty easy but also may be pretty hard - depends what excatly did you do with your system.

To describe the problem better, I've made a little FAQ:


I have a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP..) and cannot install the OTA update..
Common problem. You have to flash the stock recovery, otherwise you won't be able to install OTA updates in any way. Stock recoveries can be flashed via adb.

I've probably deleted a system app..
You need to get it back by pushing it to /system/app - there's no other way.

I have an Xposed Framework...
Clean&uninstall.

My system is completely clean but I got the status 7!
Your system is not completely clean. I suggest you to try the factory reset.


Helped? If not, write me down to comments so I can help with your problem and get you the KitKat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment